Fondant au chocolat is my favourite French chocolate cake recipe. My brother loves salted caramel, so we thought we can mix both chocolate and salted caramel to create something more exciting! We serve with rich (but not too sweet) vanilla mascarpone cream to enhance the lovely flavour of dark chocolate and salted caramel.
1) Heat oven to 200°c.
2) Put chocolate pieces and butter into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Gently melt chocolate and butter together, then remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
3) In a separate bowl, mix egg, flour and sugar.
4) Pour the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, beating well.
5) Pour into the greased moulds.
6) Bake in the oven for 12 to 13 mins.
7) Meanwhile, make mascarpone cream. Mix mascarpone and cream well, add vanilla sugar, then kirsch.
8) Serve the fondant pudding with cream while it is warm. Bon appétit :-)
For fondant pudding 8
60g caramel chocolate bar
30g salted butter (we use Brittany butter with sea salt crystals)
For mascarpone cream
80 g mascarpone
80g whipping/double cream
7g vanilla sugar