1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 / 200°C.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl.
3. Beat the eggs with a fork in a small bowl/glass dish
4. Bring the water, sugar, salt, vanilla essence and fat to the boil in a medium sized
5. When it starts to boil, remove from the heat.
6. Quickly ‘shoot in’ the flour and beat the mixture with a wooden spoon very quickly.
Do this until it is smooth and leaves the side of the pan.
7. Stir in the egg a little at a time to form a firm smooth paste (you might not need all of
the egg). Do not add so much that its runny, it should be of a dropping consistency.
8. Pipe small balls 2½ cm across – or - you can use teaspoons to place small balls on to
a baking parchment lined or greased baking tray.
9. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. Make sure you watch
them so they do not burn but do not open the oven door!
10. Slit with a knife and cool on a cooling rack.
11. Whip cream. Only add cream when cool.
12 Make the chocolate sauce using the bain-marie method (a bowl placed over boiling water in a saucepan, do not allow the water to touch the bowl.
Drizzle over the profiteroles and serve hot or place in the fridge to cool and serve cold.
75g plain flour
5g vanilla essence
150g whipping cream
150g plain cooking chocolate